Friday, January 11, 2008

I DO NOT WANT THEM, SAM I AM

T-5 hours til we take off. Just woke up and need to take this time to figure out how to get all my stuff back in my suitcase.

We went shopping last night (...that's pretty much what you do in Hong Kong). The whole area by our hotel is mall after mall after mall, all of which are connected through this large underground corridor system. The malls are more like what an American would traditionally expect. I expected the prices to be very high since the goods weren't Chinese knockoffs, but it was actually pretty competitive. (I think they must do after-christmas sales here too because everything was 50% off. )

We also stopped at a McDonald's for dinner. I know, I know. But my digestive system is in such bad shape I may never be the same. Last night was pretty rough, and this morning I'm going to see if Brian's got any immodium.

A couple observations about Mc Do No...you can order your meal with a side of corn, fries come with a packet of seasoning (seaweed or some sort of a bbq) and a shaker bag. They come out tasting like Funyuns, if you've ever had those. Not bad. Also you can order a McFlurry but it comes in a 3-oz cup. It's like a McFlurry shot. Oh and it was a good illustration of the demographic differences between Hong Kong and Shenzhen. Hong Kong is much more diverse, we don't stand out at all.

So we walked around outside for a few more blocks and on one block the pestering began again...this time from Pakistani tailors: "I make you nice suit? Come in to my shop!" sometimes there'd be half a dozen of them screaming at once. If we said no they changed their tactic to (come on say it with me)...."Watch? Handbag?"

For my next trip I'm going to make myself a t-shirt that says (In Chinese): NO WATCH, NO HANDBAG, NO DVD. JUST LOOKING. I doubt it will help though.

No comments: