Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Take a picture, it will last longer!

Ran across the street to spend some quality time in my 5-star bathroom. Whew. But the good thing was that I took the opportunity to call home and talk to Dad for a bit (sorry mom, I forget it's Wednesday there).

During the 1/2 block trek back to the building, it was again very obvious how different I am here. As I was crossing the street, a man crossing toward me walked right up to me, staring. I walked around him and he turned and followed me back to my building entrance. Then standing in the elevator lobby, another guy stood right next to me, very close, and just *stared* until the elevator came. I rode up the elevator with another woman, and since the inside of the elevator is all mirrored I got to look at our reflection...I had to be at least 2 feet taller, 150 lbs heavier, and 74 shades lighter than her. It was like we were different species.

I like China more than I thought I would, but I'm tired of standing out, tired of feeling self-conscious, tired of not knowing how to communicate, tired of having to point out food to order it, and then spitting most of it out when I get it. I think I'm ready to go back home, or at least back to Hong Kong where I can focus on important things like shopping.

No comments: